This Regiment was principally recruited from an independent military organization of the city of Cincinnati, known as the Guthrie Gray Battalion. It was enrolled April 20, 1861, and mustered into the United States service April 27, 1861, at Camp Harrison, Ohio, by Captain Gordon Granger, U. S. A., Mustering Officer, except Co’s H and K, they being mustered May 10th and 12th, 1861, respectively. Immediately after muster-in the Regiment was transferred to Camp Dennison, Ohio, to be equipped and placed in readiness for the field, but before the work was completed, a call was issued by the President for 300,000 men for three years, a majority of the membership at once signified their intention to enter the service for three years, and were enrolled in such from the 6th to the 18th of June, 1861. Those who did not enlist for three years were mustered out with the several companies August 21, 1861, at Cincinnati, Ohio, by 1st Lieutenant T. W. Walker, 3d Infantry, U. S. A. This Regiment was organized at Camp Dennison, Ohio, in June, 1861, to serve three years. It was mustered out July 23, 1864, by reason of expiration of term of service.