The companies composing this Regiment were enrolled as follows : Company A April 27, 1861 ; F April 22, 1861, at Lancaster ; B April 26, 1861, at Granville ; C April 19, 1861, at London ; D April 25, 1861, at Logan; E April 27, 1861, at New Lexington ; G April 16, 1861, at Pleasant Valley ; H April 27, 1861, at McConnelsville ; 1 April 27, 1861, at Fort Recovery, and K April 22, 1861, at St. Clairsville. The captains at once reported with their commands at Camp Anderson, Lancaster, Ohio, where the Regimental organization was completed, and the drilling and equipment for the field was vigorously pushed ; on June 5, Co.’s A, B, C, F and H were mustered by Ed. W. Phelps, Paymaster General, O. V. M. and Co.’s D, E, G, I and K by George F. Mygatt, Aid-de-Camp to Governor of Ohio, into the service of the State of Ohio, for a period of three months, to date from April 27, 1861, in accordance with an act of the General Assembly of the State of Ohio, to provide more effectually for the defense of the State against invasion, passed April 26, 1861, the eighth section of which provided as follows: That the Governor is hereby authorized in case any further requisition shall be made by the President of the United States upon this State for troops, to cause the Volunteer Militia authorized by the act or any portion of the same to be mustered into the service of the United States, in pursuance of such requisition. Under the second call for 300,000 men by the President, the Regiment was immediately transferred into the United States service. On entering Virginia the Regiment was divided, and served the government honorably, guarding provision trains, making river expeditions, operating against guerrillas, etc. On the 3rd of August, having over-served their time some days, they were ordered home, arriving at Zanesville on August 13, 1861, the Regiment was mustered out of the United States service August 15, 1861, at Camp Goddard, Zanesville, Ohio, by R. B. Hull, 1st Lieutenant, 18th U. S. Infantry, with a loss of three men, one drowned in Virginia, and two died of disease.