This regiment was organized at Indianapolis in April, 1861, for the three months’ service, and was mustered in on April 25. It left the state May 25, being the first organization to go from Indiana to western Virginia. Reaching Grafton, June 1, it marched to Philippi, where it took part in the engagement of June 3. It was assigned to Gen. Morris’ brigade and participated in the marches and skirmishes of that command, being engaged at Laurel hill and Carrick’s ford. It was mustered out at Indianapolis, Aug. 2, 1861. Its original strength was 786; it lost 5 by death and by desertion 3.